Southwest Iowa ECI: “Unemployment Insurance—What Every Employer Needs to Know”
COUNCIL BLUFFS, IOWA – Employers: are you losing your unemployment appeal hearings? Is your unemployment insurance tax rate going up due to multiple unemployment claims going against your favor? Here’s your opportunity to learn how to prepare your case to win!
The Southwest Iowa Employers’ Council (ECI) and Iowa Workforce Development will be hosting a training session on “Unemployment Insurance—What Every Employer Needs to Know” on Wednesday December 10, 2008 from 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm at Harrah’s Casino, One Harrah’s Blvd, Council Bluffs. Featured speaker will be Dan Anderson, Chief Administrative Law Judge with Iowa Workforce Development. All business owners, human resource personnel, attorneys, paralegals, financial officers and payroll staff are invited to attend. Due to the complexity of this topic, employers are encouraged to send multiple staff.
Program topics include:
• Definitions of misconduct, discharges and quits
• Iowa Codes and Iowa Employment Security Laws
• Law changes on unemployment overpayments and the importance of participating in the first level telephone fact-finding interviews
• Separation issues such as discharges for attendance, insubordination, fighting on the job, off duty conduct, gross misconduct, carelessness & negligence; quitting for good cause attributable to the employer, quits to avoid violence, quits to accept other employment, quits due to domestic abuse; quitting without good cause; temporary employees of employment firms, refusals of work or recall; suitable offers of work; issues involving part time employees
• Health related separation issues, work related & non work related ; choice of medical doctor; quit as a part of a work compensation settlement
• Drug testing as it relates to unemployment benefits
• Procedural issues and special challenges in handling unemployment insurance appeal hearing cases
• Timeliness of the appeal procedure
• Miscellaneous tough Unemployment Appeal Hearing issues
Judge Anderson has been an Administrative Law Judge with IWD since 1984, becoming Chief Administrative Law Judge in 1996. In 1968 he received his Baccalaureate degree from Macalester College. After military service he attended the University of Iowa, College of Law, graduating in 1975. He was engaged in private practice in Atlantic, IA prior to joining IWD. He has prepared training materials and participated in training seminars sponsored by the US Dept of Labor, the National Judicial College, the Iowa Association of Administrative Law Judges and the Iowa State Bar Association. He is a member of both the Iowa and National Association of Administrative Law Judges.
There is a registration fee of $25 to attend which covers meeting expenses and refreshments. Pre-registration is requested by Friday December 5th to Carol Morgan at (712) 242-2131 or
. This program has been approved for 2.5 (General) recertification credit hours towards PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI. A certificate of attendance will be provided at the training session.
The Southwest IA Employers’ Council is a local employer group supported by Iowa Workforce Development Region 13 including Harrison, Shelby, Pottawattamie, Mills, Cass, Freemont and Page counties, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. All businesses, including Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri employers are welcome to attend ECI events. This employers’ group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers and human resource professionals. Contact Carol Morgan for more information about the Southwest Iowa ECI group.